Statistics Script

Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Thoughts On Backup Today

I have added the following as a comment on the post I made on USB 3.0 in January, 2011 ( http://taxtechcpa.blogspot.com/2011/01/usb-30.html ).  I posted it there as it is an continuation on that subject, but am also posting it as a 'new thought' here.


One utilization I have been making of USB 3.0 speed is a connected external hard drive (in my case it happens to be Western Digital) that automatically backs up my desktop (in my case it happens to be a Lenovo W510 notebook) on a continuous basis, in the background.

Of course, the continuous part, is when the notebook is physically present in the docking station. When I have the notebook with me away from my desk (docking station through which the WD 3.0 USB drive is connected)new files are being created (those of which I am aware and some of which I am unaware) and stored on the notebooks internal drive. When the notebook is returned to the docking station and the WD 3.0 USB drive is "unlocked" (via password), it automatically finds and backs up any new files.

Though I am using it with a notebook desktop, it would be equally functional for a traditional desktop backup always being up to date. Even so, other backup routines, to capture the state of files at a 'point in time' are still needed. 

No comments: